If the government made iPhones

Although Gary commented about so-called "birth control glasses" during his time at Parris Island, none of this made the final cut in Stepping Off. Too many authors have covered this old joke in too much detail (i.e., that the glasses are so ugly that you'll never get to step one in becoming a parent: sex).



This picture shows glasses fabricated by the federal government in 2010, almost three years after the first iPhone's release. The quality speaks for itself. I'm in the camp that's somewhat cynical when the government announces that it has a better business plan for the latest company to run afoul of lawmakers.

The actual BC glasses at Parris Island were black, more of a horn-rimmed style, and much chunkier looking. They also came with a "brain strap" that tightened across the back of one's skull. Basically, the strap allowed them to fit glasses universally, with no regard to head shape: no matter what, the brain strap would hold them in place.

My BCs had an unfortunate flaw exactly in front of my right pupil when I was in a shooting position. Essentially, there was a big air bubble in the plastic just at the wrong spot. This is not something recruits are encouraged to whine about. I still shot very well in boot camp, possibly because I had to be extremely careful to configure my head the same way each time so that the bubble didn't cover the target.



Man, I really want to trim that stray eyebrow hair.



Comments

  1. I hope you saved the crooked glasses--they'll probably be back in style when you're 85.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sasquatch in Afghanistan

R.B. Miller Almost Wins Hogaboom Writing Award

Major General James N. Mattis and the Major James N. Mattis Marching Band