Jordanians Feed Christians to Lions

Wait, no, that was Saddam.


Still, it baffles me when people describe Jordan as an ally. From what I can tell, this is how they've spent my lifetime:

6 days: trying to annihilate World Jewry
53.98 years: shipping ammunition to Iraq

Between the Gulf War and the Iraq invasion, I've seen plenty of unlabeled enemy ordnance, but I've never seen labeled ordnance that wasn't from Jordan. This was typical:


Here's another theory about WMDs: maybe we never found any because the whole country was floor-to-ceiling artillery shells. Elementary schools were filled with artillery shells. Foyers were filled with artillery shells. Sports complexes were filled with artillery shells. If one in 100,000 shells contained nerve gas, that would still have been an enormous arsenal.


I'm not exonerating the Americans here. In the months after Baghdad fell, nobody came to inspect any of these caches with Geiger counters or gas chromatographs. When we left this position, we watched looters enter the building and start carrying away shells, no doubt for use as roadside bombs.

On a slightly different topic -- nearly starving to death -- Gary discussed the overrated aspect of responsibility in the military. Yes, the CO is ultimately in charge, but which CO. My CO and my CO's CO supposedly had no authority to dispose of these shells. One or two levels up, if you said, "why did you let Iraqi looters carry off 1000 artillery shells?" you'd have gotten, "What the hell are you talking about?"

Gary:

Who’ll admit, “With 18 months to plan, I forgot chow”? Military screw-ups prompt, “Above my pay grade,” from the first (n-1) men above you, then, “What the hell are you talking about?” from the nth.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sasquatch in Afghanistan

R.B. Miller Almost Wins Hogaboom Writing Award

Major General James N. Mattis and the Major James N. Mattis Marching Band